This CACHE endorsed short course explores: What is self-esteem, why is it so crucial to children’s development, and how can you contribute? This course outlines the characteristics of a child with healthy self-esteem and compares this to characteristics of children with low or poor self-esteem. You will learn what you can do to support the development of children’s healthy self-esteem.
- You will gain an understanding of the value of healthy self-esteem to a child’s life, and how this is crucial to their personal, social, and emotional development
- You will learn to work in partnership with parents and carers to build a child’s self-esteem
- You will learn how to encourage children’s positive self-esteem, use praise carefully, and add in elements of choice during activities
Advantages of this course
- Self-esteem is an important part of personal, social, and emotional development and in the early years, a confident child will be more willing to communicate their likes, dislikes, needs, and feelings to an early years practitioner
- You will explore a number of key interventions and activities that can boost a child’s self-esteem
- Additional activities encourage you to reflect on your learning
- There is also suggested extended reading that gives both practical information and links to websites to expand knowledge.