This short course is aimed at individuals in a position of responsibility who are responsible for performance appraisals. This course looks at a key part of performance management appraisal skills. The course looks at different appraisal methods and the benefits to staff and an organisation of effective appraisals, it also gives guidance on conducting a performance appraisal.
- The learner will understand the purpose of appraisals
- The learner will understand how an appraisal should be carried out
- The learner will learn about the different appraisal methods
- The learner will learn about the benefits of appraisals
Advantages of this course
- Appraisals are a management tool used to identify and evaluate employee performance and progress at work. It also allows management to find out how effective it has been when employing staff by evaluating performance in terms of the requirements of the organisation. In this context, they are often known as performance appraisals.
- There are two main reasons for appraisals: one is to evaluate performance and the other is to feedback and find solutions, as appropriate. There is often a lot of apprehension prior to an appraisal, this can be on the part of the appraisee and the appraiser.
- This course aims looks at traditional methods of performance appraisals, their purpose, how to set appraisal objectives, and some of the mistakes that can be made in appraisals
- Training is given through a filmed tutorial, references to websites for reading and good practice video
- There is suggested extra reading to give both practical information and links to websites to expand knowledge
- An additional activity encourages the learner to reflect on the learning